there has been a movement of sorts happening in blogland whereby some blogs have dedicated one entire post to pulling back the curtain (so to speak) and revealing a truer side of their lives, as opposed to the tightly edited one that often prevails on most blogs. there is definitely nothing wrong with tightly edited and curated versions of our lives. i believe the reason why many people start blogs is to share inspiration and provide a little escapism from the day-to-day. i mean, i'm guessing you would rather see photos of a beautiful home than see or read about bird crap on my shoulder, right? right.
however, jess constable (of make under my life) flipped the script and shared a few things she normally doesn't talk about on her blog and titled the post, "things i'm afraid to tell you." her honest confessions resonated with many people, including myself. so much so that ez (of creature comforts) started a "things i'm afraid to tell you" movement and, shortly after, meg (of mimi + meg) started wave 2.
i cannot officially call this round wave 3, but i have asked a group of bloggers to come together today to share somethings about themselves. i'm guessing some posts will be lighthearted, some will be confessional in nature, and some may be funny. i can guarantee that all of them will be personal and you'll learn something about the author. we were all pretty scared about doing this exercise, so i hope you'll find the time today (or over the next few days) to pop around and read everyone's posts. whatever the cause or call to action, blogging communities coming together is always a good thing. herewith is my "something(s) about me."
- i am 40 and this is the very first year of my life that i have physically felt every bit of my age, and it scares me a little because i'm pretty heathy.
- i have a master's degree in marketing communications which i don't use in my current occupation as a SAHM and for which i'm still paying student loans. i think this fact, more than anything else, keeps me from pursuing any other passions that require further financial commitment.
- i communicate more effectively in writing than i do in person (which is actually a pretty scary thing to admit if you think i'm a horrible writer).
- i don't have a degree in graphic design, but i like to create pretty layouts for the blog. i don't have a degree in english or journalism, but i love to write. i don't have a degree in illustration, but i love to draw. i don't have a degree in photography, but i like to take photos. i do all these things on my blog and i fear that some may think me an impostor, but i try anyway and make do with what i have to offer.
- i hate pictures of myself. (for this post, i'm making an exception. ;)
- i am prone to be melancholy, so i have to be very mindful of my thoughts.
- i truly believe: 1) we are all just trying our best and 2) in giving people the benefit of the doubt.
- blogging is hard. among other things, i wish i had more time to read and support all the wonderful blogs out there. there is just not enough time in the day.
- i am not proud of the person i was in my 20's and i'm doing every thing i can now to make up for it.
- because my husband is self employed and i am a SAHM, we are fully responsible for our health insurance. let me tell you, self paid health insurance is expensive! plus, every six months or so, our carrier will raise our premium on each member of the family. is it because we are unhealthy? is it because we see the doctor a lot? no, to all of it. they do it simply because they can. why should any company profit off the health (or illness) of others? it's a racket!
- my absolute hands down, favorite thing to do is laugh. i love a good laugh and people who can make me laugh. (i also love a good cry.)
and blogs that are joining the party today:
annie of insideology / chi of 106 kids / christine of happy impermanence / erin of like want need / erin of such small steps / haydee of happenstance / jennifer of a well nurtured life / kate of the forgetful wife / lauren of still plus life / leah of sang the bird / liz of ev photo chic / noreen of beauty of everyday life / what would gwyneth do / sam of bright space / susan of a nomadic abode / tina of colourliving / tori of one eleven studio
have a wonderful weekend and memorial day everyone!
ps~thank you haydee for creating the title, "something(s) about me." i really appreciate your help!